Tuesday, December 18, 2007


three of the homeless kids that i am very close to have been sleeping under an awning outside an architectural firm across from a midas auto repair service.
on sunday the kids called me and asked me to come by asap.
i jumped in the car and arrived 15 minutes later.
there they were talking to a bumble bee.
i asked what was going on and the bumble bee (dave) said he had
received a call from midas asking him to get rid of the kids.
that "they are an eyesore."
i told him that the employees of the business under whose awning they slept were fine with it
as long as they were gone by the time the business opened.
sunday the business was closed and was the only day that the kids could sleep in.
it's the only day that the kids get a good night's sleep.
(if you can call it that - they're outside, it's cold and the ground they sleep on is hard cement.)
dave said he's fine with that but right then and there the kids had to leave because of the complaint.
but you know who i felt the sorriest for?
the guy from midas who called the kids an eyesore.
can you imagine having to live with a mind like that?

11 Comments:

Blogger soulful sepulcher said...

how can i help?

9:30 PM  
Blogger iamkatia said...

stephany, i've been doing this for a long time and you are the only one who has ever asked me that.

and i don't know how to answer...

but to say the very fact that you asked goes a long way in helping.

thank you
thank you

9:03 AM  
Blogger liannaa said...

:-(

The same thing is happening in my town.

This makes me sick:
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News/Downtown_neighbors_nix_youth_program

Thank you for posting these. I'm going to link to you in my own journal.

12:31 PM  
Blogger liannaa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little sister is one of these kids, she has been the hitch hiking and bumming for years. She loves it and is now settled back in Austin where family is, but still living the drag rat life style. I know that you help the ones that don't have help, and I appreciate that, because I know there were so many times that she was not in towns without family and it's because of people like you that helped her find her way.
Thank you!
Did I mention she's not my real little sister, but I took her in years ago to make sure she atleast got her GED.

3:14 PM  
Blogger soulful sepulcher said...

i made a visit to the midas shop today.got the manager's card, and had a little chat about car repair.

i thank you for watching over these kids.

4:29 PM  
Blogger soulful sepulcher said...

i forgot to mention, that is just a fluke my car muffler has a gaping hole in it. i needed a repair estimate. :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger An Extra said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Marc in the City said...

Eek! Sorry about that. I do really love your blog and think it's really interesting. I was just in kind of a bad mood. I hope that more people read it and begin to understand the lifestyle that you're writing about. Beautiful pictures, you're obviously very talented.

4:11 PM  
Blogger iamkatia said...

marc - don't apologize!
your comment had merit.

thank you. :)

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. you know, you're totally right, i wouldn't want to live in his mind. in fact that comment alone is making me resolve to buy things with cash. that way i've always got change and such to help the people chillin get by. street kids are the modern savages, migrating through the concrete jungles of today like the piygmies migrate through the remaining jungles of the world.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home